This building was opened in 1911 and was designed by W.A.Thomas (c.1859-1939). This building is one of the world's first multi-storey buildings with a reinforced concrete structure. The two main clock towers are surmounted
by domes on which the world famous Liver Birds are perched. The clock faces are 25 feet across which makes them bigger than the clock faces of Big Ben in London. The two Liver Birds are 18 foot high and have a total wing span of 24 feet across.